Instagram

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

HARMONY IN WHITE...100 Days!


I love painters who paint white well, don't you? To that end, I have decided to do 100 small studies in white, in one sitting, to push myself. These won't be a consecutive 100 days as I don't do consecutive anything anymore after last years 365 Days of Drawing! That train left the station. Toot toot.

To this end, I rejoined Daily Painter Originals this week, see big white link box to the right, where the studies will be posted along with some fine work by the other artists there.

White works by Sorolla, Philip de Laszlo, Sargent, Sergei Bongart and current day color masters Ovanes Berberian, John Asaro, Everett Raymond Kinstler, Dawn Whitelaw, Michael Shane Neal, Daniel Gerhartz, Scott Burdick, and Susan Lyon are some of the paintings I pore over. My mentor Mr. Kinstler said that 'white on white' paintings are a challenge. Try white marble against a white cloth. Later...much.

I paint pretty fast so these will be a warm up exercise in the studio to start the day. I will be curious to see where this goes.

Here is the first one I did yesterday: I hope you like.

100 Days of Harmony in White, #1, Party Shoes, QUICK SKETCH
6x8", oil on canvas
$75.00 plus $6. shipping.

GIFT WRAPPED, YES IN WHITE! , with white display easel.



8 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

I so agree... I think that white on white paintings are very difficult... They are so very subtle... Sargent's Amber Gris is one of my favorite..

That being said... You've started off your challenge really nicely... now with that kind of start how will you show progress???? LOL

Karen Bruson said...

Oh, great exercise. Nice to see you back doing daily paintings again.

Roseanne said...

Beautiful Party Shoes!! Ohh la la!!

Unknown said...

Great challenge for yourself. Happy to have you back at DPO and looking forward to the "white" paintings. Good start.

Anonymous said...

I adore white paintings....I adore your work...sounds like a fabulous combination. Very excited to see what comes next...this one is great!

LindaHunt said...

Oh, these are so elegant!! Nice to see you back with Daily Painters Originals...will watch your work as you tackle the 100 days in white.

David Magallanes said...

Exquisite, Johanna!
In a fourth grade art class assignment, I sketched "White Lily In The Snow"--a few pencil strokes on white paper. I got an F. Teacher didn't like my followup: "Black Cat In A Coal Mine." Another F. My art career wasn't looking promising at that point, and it never did blossom!

Johanna Spinks said...

thank you everyone...your comments really mean the world and I enjoy each one.