Instagram

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Gift of Time

"The Clearing"
By Johanna Spinks
16"x20"
Palette Knife
I gave myself the gift of time with this palette knife portrait of my daughter done in my garden. A nice lull in the studio workload, deliveries just shipped, and a week's break from my weekly teaching class found me very at peace with myself and my art.

I have wanted to paint my lovely fair-haired daughter for quite a while, having done quite a few portraits recently of my lovely dark-haired one. I found this scarlet vintage hat 'topper' online and that was the beginning of the idea.

It was a challenge doing this with a palette knife especially the hair and gauzy clothing.

I plan on more of this quiet time...with just myself and my palette knife, oh yes, and inspiration.

No comments: