Instagram

Monday, May 8, 2017

Painting a Public Demo Life Sketch - Step By Step

Honored to be invited by Les Boudoirs Boutique, a luxury lingerie store in California, to do a Mother's Day strawberries and champagne event, doing a painting demo of the lovely Amina in a gorgeous corset.

Some good friends in the audience took some step-by-step pictures which I thought I would share to show my demo process. So here they are!

Thank you to Les Boudoirs Boutique, my lovely model Amina, and all who attended.

http://lesboudoirs.com


"Les Boudoirs to Degas"
SOLD
18x24"
By Johanna Spinks
It always feels good at the end.
The Pose: Who can go wrong painting the beautiful Amina in a lovely Les Boudoirs corset?

The start. Quick charcoal lines to loosen up on a toned board just like Degas and Lautrec used. 

Gestural drawing to capture the movement of the figure. Trying to say a loose as string.

Off to paint we go, blocking in light and dark side of forms. Thinking solid forms!

Working up the elements, knowing  I have things pretty much in place now, and the corset will be icing on the cake. Much easier to paint for me than the body and face. I know at this point the demo is going to be fine.

Blocking in features of face, keeping them loose and pushed back. One can't paint a fully developed  portrait and a figure in just three hours. Something has to give. In this case, the face is kept loose and sketchy through to the end. 





Close-up: Oh, what fun. I added some new drawing lines in to complete the sketchy feel. 

No comments: