Instagram

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Taking Risks Is Risky?

Just finished up this new large format palette knife to add to my building  collection of now twelve started at the  beginning of this year, all painted from life in two sittings-  and all 36 x36". Some friends of mine have sat for me along with some professional models, but even more excitingly, people I have just met in my hometown walking on the street so to speak.

I love painting people from life who are completely new to the experience and I  think it makes me paint better.

The large format super bright coloration via palette knife has been quite an extraordinary exploration within my portrait world - and like nothing I have done before. At times I have felt I really must stop and go back to what is safe. But exploring makes you learn, grow, and nurture, yes,  independence from art formulas that artists can get stuck in when they start selling their art to collectors. They get known for a certain 'look' and that is what they have to keep producing so their collector base doesn't get confused and head for the hills.

Taking risks is risky.

But something keeps driving me forward to continue perhaps thanks to great feedback from some very kind folks in the most surprising places.

Here is my latest finished today in time for July 4th Independence Day in America.

"Independence"
By Johanna Spinks
36 x 36"
Available through Saachi Online
click here
In Situ
Who says you can't hang paintings on patios?

The second of two life sittings via palette knife. Thank you as always to the beautiful Lynette.



No comments: