Instagram

Friday, January 26, 2018

Advice From Bowie...

It's taken me awhile to get this one to the finish gate. I am glad I stuck with it. Sometimes our brain just gets in the way. Right?

I wasn't quite sure if I would continue into a second year of painting large format portraits, mostly form life. But the path has become clear. It is obvious now that there is no turning back.  I am on a journey with them and good things are happening, slowly but surely.

As David Bowie said once, as an artist  if your feet aren't dangling off the edge of the diving board in fear, creatively, then you are not really creating. You are missing the point by staying in a zone that is familiar and safe. He of all people knew this changing his look and vision  so many times although there was always a consistent revisit to some older "Major Tom" themes until the day he died.

 I have been sitting on the edge of that diving board since picking up the palette knife in my portrait work about four years ago but especially last year with 16 large portraits painted mostly in two life sittings of people I met who interested me and some favorite models. It spun my head around.

Here's to more spinnng. Onward.

Johanna

Through The Eyes of a Child
by Johanna Spinks
36 x 36"
Via Palette Knife.



Close-up
Image copyrighted

No comments: