Instagram

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Portrait Painting A-Plenty






What a privilege it was to teach so many talented people at my recent one-day portrait workshop timed around my show "Something Wrong About The Mouth"! I was impressed with the talent in the room.

The day started with a talk about my five-value system, followed by a show-and-tell of the old Masters and how they used values. Color harmony and skin tones thrown into the mix. Students then did a quick one hour study in black and white copying an old master painting using five values. I was a little worried how this would turn out but everyone did a great job...see the picture of all those great little heads.

I then did a one hour features demo from my favorite model Cassie followed by a one hour demo of her head. Yes folks, the head was painted in just one hour so don't bug me about the flaws.

Then the class got to work doing their own three-hour study of the model. BRAVO to all. The different styles were impressive but that is what makes painting so much fun.

For those of you that didn't make the show, that didn't make the artist talk, that didn't make the workshop, I could say shame on YOU! Instead I will post next my TOP TEN list for successful painting from life.




1 comment:

Marian Fortunati said...

It looks like it was a GREAT class!! Congrats!! I see some familiar faces too which is nice.
WOW.;.. I have been checking often over the summer and didn't see any new posts and now there are three great ones!!
I'm glad you are back. I'll see you in two weeks at LAAFA. I think Matt will let me start that late.
Be well ............ I LOVE those ten tips!!