Instagram

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Buttercup yellow...how to paint color

Buttercup
12x16
Oil on panel
$395 incl. shipping
Purchase at my online store
here

If you see the You Tube videos below, you will know that I love pushing color. I love artists, past and present, who do the same.

This was a quick color study last night I did over at Jeremy Lipking's studio. He is a wonderful tonalist  painter who also gets some great color in there.

I didn't feel like blending last night.  I felt like slapping that buttercup yellow jacket on the canvas,  three different temperatures of yellow. Warm, cool and neutral with a complimentary purple washed in for my base.

Off to CAI now for my teaching class. Join me there Wednesday mornings.

3 comments:

Shelley Whiting's art said...

I love the way you left the chair white. It is a great compositional device. The color in the picture is very good too.

Shelley Whiting's art said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Johanna Spinks said...

Thanks Shelley. I am glad you like this one. I am fond of it too.