Instagram

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Steam-punk'd Palette Knife Portrait

Steam Punk'd
Palette Knife Portrait
By Johanna Spinks
16"x12"
NFS



My fascination with the palette knife continues...this was my 'fun'treat  to end my studio day after four hours or so spent working on a tighter studio commission in the morning.

 I started this palette knife portrait from a real steam punk sitter a few weeks ago in my teaching class at CAI...I paint much slower with a palette knife than brush which is both good and bad. Bad 'cause I would rather be faster with the knife, good because I need to slow down with the brush. I can go super fast there it seems.

I don't fight the knife...I just let it goes where it wants.

Watch out for my new Tumblr coming soon on just palette knife painting.




No comments: