Instagram

Saturday, August 8, 2009

No such thing as free wine and cheese...


Sometimes us artists wonder why we do what we do outside of our own personal painting life and commission deadlines.

Weekly semester teaching comes to mind (teaching takes a big time commitment if you are trying to do it well) along with volunteer work for The Portrait Society of America over the last three years in my role as CA co-state ambassador,  and just recently a studio open house alongside a  student show with mini reception....it takes an awful lot of time away from one's own easel (cutting into the FUN painting time) and actually costs a bit of money. There is no such thing as free wine and cheese. And endless phone calls/emails have to be made on all the fronts. ENDLESS...

So when a nice Bella Sinclair blog tribute/award for art inspiration comes along from an artist I admire and have had the privilege to teach and watch grow it is a nice warm moment. Thank you Marian  Fortunati http://marianfortunationpaintingdaily.blogspot.com/ 


I also know it is worthwhile and am rewarded by seeing so many  gracious art friends who came to Friday's open house showing support for my new studio.  A terrible time of day to drive across the freeways of L.A. . I hardly dared ask!!! My studio is a long way from anywhere, I was touched by the effort many made.  Old friends and new. Thank you. It was wonderful to see you all.

I do think the "nibbles" were good however.  NO Trader Joe's. THANK YOU  again to so many who 'wet' the new studio. It meant a lot a to me....

I no longer wonder why I do what I do...


1 comment:

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Congrats on your successful open house. I'm sure that you give 110% to your students and they appreciate it. Wish I was closer, I would love to see your studio.