Instagram

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Dewy-ness or Mess?


Girl With a Peacock Fan
9x 12
oil on linen panel
work in progress

I have always like the challenge of painting golden skin tones. So much more color to be seen. Pinks , mauves, oranges and yellows. Great chance to use yellow and purple color harmony. However, all that color can also turn into a hot mess.

This was my class demo at The California Art Institute this week. Those of you that know me, know I paint fast. A demo can be finished in an hour if necessary and look somewhat complete, albeit rushed. I decided to really slow myself down on this sitting, to try to go for subtlety in that skin. My sitter from Jamaica, really beautiful,  had a certain dewiness. I wanted to capture that 'ness' not 'mess'.


I think students were surprised to see how little I had done at the end of the session. I hadn't even got to the hair, yet alone the ravishing peacoack fan behind her head...I am working on giving myself the gift of time.

Another sitting next week...come back!


1 comment:

Marian Fortunati said...

Hi Johanna...
Sitting here with my Dad .... Looking through blogs and wishing I could paint a bit with you ....

Hope you are well.