Instagram

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Darling Dixie..




One of my favorite students, and a talented painter herself, Dixie, is returning home to Texas after a year studying at The Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Art in Van Nuys http://www.laafa.org/

DIXIE, now a grandma,  had a life-long dream after a long graphic design career, world travels,  and raising kids, to immerse herself for a whole year in fine art instruction at the best school she could find.

She did her research from afar and LAAFA was her chosen school. No small wonder as the faculty is great and I am proud to be part of it. So she packed up her home, rented an apartment here and came out west with her cat.

She signed up for as many classes as she could fit into a week studying with many teachers at the school. See her journey on her blog at...http://dixiekeestudio.blogspot.com/2009/04/old-dream-comes-true.html

Dixie is one reason I like to teach. Gracious as a student, patient with herself, and always thoughtful about the process... and very fun! 

I got to paint her at my studio this week in Oxnard, a three hour head sketch,  as a kind of 'farewell 'til we meet again' moment. 

It sure was fun. 

Dixie said while I was painting her, she is going to hang my head sketch 'pride of place' at her memorial. NO PRESSURE or anything. See, I told you she was funny!

Safe travels dear Dixie and PAINT PAINT PAINT every moment to delay getting to your memorial! 

3 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

I'm going to miss Dixie too!... I know that painting will be in an honored place.
Good for you... Good for Dixie.

Have fun tomorrow!

Johanna Spinks said...

thanks Marian for being such a supporter...I will miss you too!!!.. five hour is running so I won't be at the beach that much!

Get over that flu as fast as you can...

Dixie Kee said...

Jo, I feel so "out there", it's like you introduced me to the world! It's like I'm blushing!

As I have said before, your writing skills are right up there with your painting skills.

Having my portrait painted by you was an honor, a learning experience, and a wonderful gift.

Thank you, Dixie Kee