Instagram

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Perfectly Imperfect...365 Days of Drawing


Some moments take your breath away. I really did see a rainbow over the 6th Century Mont-St-Michel tiny island and it's Benedictine Abbey on a rainy day in France. What are the chances of that?

I decided to try and capture that moment in a quick-sketch drawing last night. The rainbow, the tourists treading a well- worn path to the mount. I was glad I did. The feelings of the day flooded back. The sense of incredible history that I was standing before. The sheer sense of being overwhelmed. How would I even attempt to paint this? And one of the BEST lunches I had in France at a tourist grim grotto. Go figure.

The drawing is far from perfect lacking in a good value pattern but it also reminds me that things can be special done with heart and the right feeling. Perfectly imperfect so to speak. It is not all about perfect technique.

Actual Image 4 x 6"

Charcoal and wash.



2 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

You make me smile!!

My what an experience you had!! It will live with you always. I love the way you share it..

Johanna Spinks said...

thanks Marian...I am really just starting to understand how much the learning continues after doing a residency like that. It isn't just the actual time there. I think it had changed the way I paint. And given me a deeper understanding of how I paint and how I want to move forward.