Instagram

Monday, September 13, 2010

PUENTES-A-PLENTY...365 DAYS OF DRAWING




Sorolla's "puentes", tiny sketches, many made in his own studio garden, were among the best things I have ever seen when visiting his studio in Madrid recently. CATCH-IT- QUICK value/color notes made from his cigar-sized pochade box. I am no Sorolla but I do now paint from a very similar 6"x8"box which I LOVE.

On my recent trip, I was kinda thinking the 'puentes' way when I saw a garden fountain. I had less than an hour. Light was falling and dinner plans with company approaching FAST. After the initial sketch was done, which counted for the challenge, I told myself to put the paint down and LEAVE it alone.

The second day I decided to revisit the fountain in the morning before we headed out for the day and painted a close-up of the lion's head.

AS I said, I am no Sorolla. But I sure was thinking of him.

2 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

That is my favorite museum in the WORLD! Lucky you that you got to bring your paints! Love the little box, too. I was amazed that someone was smart enough to save all his little paintings, even thought they were casually done, on no-so-archival supports, for us to see and study today! Nice studies that you did, too!

Johanna Spinks said...

Thank you Kelley.