Instagram

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sauciness?...365 Days of Drawing, All Things French




I am feeling decidedly unfrench today. A bit harried getting ready for my demo today for The Malibu Art Assoc.

But I present to you a little bit of french sauciness. My drawing today teams up well with a pic I took in France that caught my eye in a hair dresser's window of a mannequin. Who made that?
I had always intended to do a funny painting of it but ah well...

The third pic is of my class demo at The California Art Institute yesterday. It looked far better in the early stages when I had just a few paints dabs on. Then I tried to be J. W. Waterhouse - a bad idea.

No-one should try to be like him. He was a one-off and remains one of my favorite painters of all time. I think his work is so superb in both style and technique that it is hard to emulate. I also love the fact he was VERY private and didn't like to take classes or paint alongside people in the early days. Probably something in that, about keeping your own art company so you are not influenced by the work of others.

Waterhouse left very few personal documents too, letters etc., which is unusual. I have all his books and the authors have very little personal information about him. Maybe he burned everything.

What do you think? Can't really burn posts on blogs and Facebook. Us artists are leaving a trail.

What will your trail say?

"Sauciness", approx. 8" x 11"

HEAD SKETCH SOLD

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Johanna, love the sauciness...the fushia corsett...hmmm so feminine yet still makes you want to "romp around a bit" :)

P.S. Not sure what my trail would be...

Johanna Spinks said...

I am all for a good romp! Your drawing is going out early week. It was an insane week this week.