Instagram

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Root of It.....365 Days of Drawing...



My portrait painting demo for the Pacific Art Guild in Los Angeles last night and my drawing for the day.

What a nice group of artists. Thank you for hosting me and thanks to president Vickie Myers. Special thanks to Keri, my model, who IS always SO VERY!

The demo looked better at halfway in my opinion. Ah, the thrills and spills of life painting in front of lots of people. I agree with my mentor. It really is a stunt of sorts. You are entertaining people. Painting in a mad rush. Trying to give out information. Trying to do something half decent. This took about an hour and a half with talking along the way.

Now how about me getting to the hair salon to fix those roots!

4 comments:

Kate's Portrait Paintings said...

Love your work - just came across your site. Nice variety of styles

Johanna Spinks said...

thanks Kate! Keep coming back...

Harry Kent said...

I love this work done with speed and under pressure. Your experience and consummate skills keep the process on the rails while the pressure puts a freshness and urgency into the confident brush strokes.

Johanna Spinks said...

Thanks Harry. I appreciate that. There is no question that working under pressure of painting in public and a certain time contstraint will give one brushstrokes one never knew one had. Ha! . The "keeping it on the rails" is a very succinct observation. That really IS the challenge doing a demo like this. I preferred this demo half way through to be honest. It was a little more subdued in color and edges. But then the "performance" kicks in to finish quickly.

Please come back and visit again.