Instagram

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

ARTISTIC PANTS...365 DAYS OF DRAWING


The client is happy with the photo shoot for the portrait commission. Do you really then want to do an on-site head study in less than an hour possibly flying by the seat of your artistic pants? What happens if you have a bad day? All could be lost with the client.

I personally think it is called 'doing your art homework'. I see so much painting a face that I don't see through the camera lense which so intrigues me - and this will aid my final portrait.

I am eternally grateful to my mentor Mr. Everett Raymond Kinstler, N.A., who has made me see the value of this discipline. It was a big jump for me in my portrait work when I started to request a head study at the portrait shoot.

This one is my drawing for the day yesterday. I sat the client by a window and painted this in about 55 minutes.

6 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

Lovely...
I've always been curious though, Johanna.....
You don't really USE the head study per say... the pose or whatever so WHAT about the head study makes it valuable??? Coloring? Emotion??? what??

Johanna Spinks said...

Marian: I absolutely do use the head study for the portrait. It is observed along with the photos. Just for the learning more about the face not pose etc. The study shows me things I don't see in the photo. Extra long eye lashes, a dimple, a deep eye socket. Photos distort. etc. Working so quickly on a head study you are putting down shapes you see really fast. Those decisive shapes become invaluable later.

Karen Bruson said...

Beautiful painting.

Becky Joy said...

Photos never do the job. Bravo! this is wonderful. The cool lighting, you can tell she is next to a window.

Kerri Settle said...

It's amazing what you're able to capture in less than an hour. Beautiful sense of soft lighting on her face.

I'm always intrigued by what falls off your brush!

Johanna Spinks said...

thank you Kerri, Becky and Karen. This one is growing on me.