Instagram

Saturday, January 16, 2010

365 Days of Drawing Challenge - 351 to go...


Another day of drawing...another tutu. I dedicate this one to my eldest daughter, Jessica, THE dancer in our family.

I was inspired to do this drawing by two other people. One by my pal artist Marian Fortunati http://marianfortunationpaintingdaily.blogspot.com/ who recently painted a tutu on her blog that I liked and I felt like doing one too.

The other, the masterful Neil Boyle http://www.neilboyle.com/who I had the pleasure of taking a few classes with some years ago. Mr. Boyle who is now unfortunately deceased, taught a great many students and did a great many paintings in his day, a very successful artist. Bar room brawls and saloon girls were a favorite of his collectors.

On my sickbed this week, I watched an old video of him on YOU TUBE giving a teaching demo from 1990 to a bunch of illustrators. He was hilarious and very good. I was impressed how he did a full body sketch painting in just over an hour talking and joking all the way to his peers. There was a frothy skirt similar to a tutu. Man, he kept it simple. Just blocked in the whole shadow side of the froth as one mass and left it alone.

When I saw this pic of a tutu to work from, I was reminded of him and Marian's piece and decided it would be a perfect chance for ME to perfect a big shadow mass of froth. I kind like how it came out.

Drawing time - about one hour.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Johanna...yes you did marvelously capture the "frothiness" of the tutu...great depiction of soft fluff!!

Marian Fortunati said...

WOW, Johanna!!! Too amazing!!
And thanks for the mention although your drawings are a million times better than my struggles...
I like your moving tutus below too. Miss you.

Roseanne McIlvane said...

After seeing this , PLEASE do not stop dong your daily paintings!!!! This is fabulous!!

Johanna Spinks said...

Thanks everyone...hard to even think of doing such silly drawings while watching Haiti.