Instagram

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

HOT FLASHES!




I get excited by working on really hot grounds. This is a work in progress, a portrait of a young artist who walked into my studio the other day complete with a hot pink head piece she had made and long dreadlocks.

At first the fuchsia ground seemed like a good idea. Then it seemed too much and I thought to scrap it. Today, I am enjoying it again. I am hanging on to that hotness as long as I can - just like in life.

You will never completely get rid of a hot ground. There will be little specks flickering through. It also makes me focus on thin paint versus thick paint and distressing the canvas in places with a knife.

Hot hot hot.


2 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

Saw this today and LOVED it!!! It's going to be one of your really really memorable ones!!

Loved talking with you today. We should get together more often!!

Johanna Spinks said...

thanks Marian. Loved seeing you. Having fun with this one!