Instagram

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

HOW TO PAINT A FUTURE PRESIDENT, WHAT WAS I THINKING?





This young man is a future president of The Unites States, of that I am sure. He is already involved in politics as he heads off to college with big plans ahead.

His lovely mother commissioned me to do his portrait, honoring this special time in his life, in a single three hour sitting from life with no photos, and that is what we did around lots of chat and fun. He is one smart and engaging person. I was thrilled that he had spent hours researching a portrait artist online, knew a lot about art and my painting heros, and wanted an artist who had a "brushy" style. YES!!!!!

So what was I thinking during this single sitting?

*make this good. don't disappoint his trust in you and your work.

*get a good block-in fast. this inspires confidence in the client always.

*pay attention to the shape of his closely cropped hair, always key to a likeness. cropped hair is a challenge.

*work edges well to avoid cut-out effect of said cropped hair.

*handsome deep set eyes...but paint them open and engaged with 'me'. I spent quite a bit of time on this to get the feel I wanted.

*mass in the clothing in bold strokes,,,more time to spend on the handsome face.

*make that red tie sizzle, the brightest bright in the portrait

*will I get his portrait when he is president?

*must get his email

*Thank goodness I became a citizen of the US. Phew, I wouldn't get a presidential commission otherwise. Worth that $10,000 I paid.

Well, providing I get that president...






4 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

I so love to read what you write, Johanna. You artistic gift extends to prose, you know.

Lucky young man.... Congrats on a job well done!

David Magallanes said...

I love getting into the mind of an artist! I enjoy this "What Was I Thinking?" format.

Johanna Spinks said...

THANK YOU Marian...it means a lot that you read and like..I know we share the same passions.

Johanna Spinks said...

David...thanks! Seth Godin's daily posts I have learned from. Keep things shorter and to the point.