Instagram

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Veiled Threat.

I just got back from a weekend in Arizona and 112 degree heat. Most people paint cactus, mountains, and pink sunsets in this incredible land but I was on a deadline to  get a small painting done, 6"x9", for a 150th Anniversary Celebration of the Artists' Fellowship in New York, shipping deadline tomorrow. Yikes. I was up against the clock issuing veiled threats to the Art Spirit to help me out.

I am delighted to be among some 150 artists, including some of the country's very best like Richard Schmid and Everett Raymond Kinstler, who have each donated a panel painting which will be displayed at The National Arts Club  in New York for  auction to raise money for The Artists Fellowship which helps artists in times of real need.

Indeed the celebration evening is also a tribute to Will Barnet, Everett Raymond Kinstler and Pamela Singleton in recognition of their dedication to the artist community. It will be the start of my five week trip to take up my grant in France so I am especially excited for the evening. And to see all the panels showing together. How cool will that be?

 I wanted my panel to be good. I tortured myself what to paint for weeks. A hectic house move delayed the start of it. So I took a deep breath once I got to AZ allowing things to happen. The panels were provided by Jack Richeson, the mega art manufacturer, for consistency of look. You only had one panel. You couldn't make too much of a mistake. 

I decided to take my time setting aside three consecutive mornings of my weekend trip using the ice bucket tray for my palette as in the rush to move out of my house, it had not made it with me on the trip. That's a first. I also made sure I didn't have too many sunset Cactus Pear Infused (aka headache) Cosmos so I was fresh in the morning.

I like to work in layers, deciding the veil should go on last over a dried painted face. Limited palette. Beautiful model.  A student of mine in fact. 

The only problem I really had, apart from a few swear words painting the veil,  was the paint that got on my bare legs  which looked odd when I hit the pool later. I hadn't noticed those green cactus colored streaks.






3 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

Toooo funny... I'll bet you looked good even in cactus green.

Glad it got done and it does sound like despite the hectic pace you've been keeping that you are accomplishing a lot and enjoying the ride!!

As I said before, it's terrific!!

Johanna Spinks said...

thanks Marian!

Dixie Kee said...

Wow! This is beautiful! Can't remember the students name, but I recognize her face.