Instagram

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

How to paint glass...what was I thinking...?


How to paint glass? Well, I don't know. But this is what I am thinking as I finish up this still life in my studio today:

SQUINT...get wrinkles while you paint to simplify the shapes

DRAWING...watch those perspective lines. Hmmmm.

VALUES...this is a painting close in values which is harder for the light effect. May need to push those cast shadows more.

EDGES. Do lost and found. Do soft and hard.

BALANCE Do rough paint. Do smooth paint.

Hang on to some of the original panel ground at all costs. (See light part of orange bottle.)

Spray some Chanel in studio to clear the air.

"STILL THE FAVORITE"
10 x 10
oil on panel

$500
Shipping $10
SOLD


4 comments:

David Magallanes said...

Glass has to be tricky. But I think you've nailed it here, Johanna, with the Chanel bottles. The effect is, well, "glassy." Well-done! I would guess that painting the ocean surface poses many of the same challenges.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Girlfriend...awesome! Thanks for sharing....i truly believe that painting for us young ladies is not good...but good for the anti-wrinkle cream market.

Johanna Spinks said...

@David..good to hear from you. Yes, ocean and waves hardest. See you at Art Walk this weekend? Hope so.

David Magallanes said...

Yes, I see you in the announcement for ArtWalk. I plan to drop by and see you! Probably Saturday.