Instagram

Thursday, January 7, 2010

365 Days of Drawing Challenge - 360 to go...


Well, I did it! Another day. Another drawing despite a busy painting day with lots of driving around the LA freeways. Somehow I squeezed in a drawing.

And I am not cheating!

I painted in the evening another favorite sitter of my who I would paint every day if I could, the divine Heather, of "Heather's Braids", the painting that won me an Oil Painters' of America national award, so that sure helped make the day sweet.

I really did feel I was on my game with the drawing part of my evening painted head sketch. There were lots of distractions at the Open House. You know that ONE person who keeps moving around the room trying to find a PERFECT spot to paint bumping into everyone and everything??? Five times over! (There is not a perfect spot). I was finding it hard to get into the zone but my drawing confidence after just five days of doing this challenge really helped. I found myself able to rely on it.

I can only imagine if I am able to keep it up what it will be like in 360 days. Pretty excited about the idea actually. Not sure where I am going to put all these drawings though as they are quite large, on separate sheets of drawing paper, not in sketch book form.

I think I will always have to practice my drawing. Painting comes so much easier to me. But drawing IS the root of all art evil. You can't pretty up a bad painting that is "out of drawing" no matter how hard you try.

And I have tried.




6 comments:

Arlene said...

Quite the challenge! Keep it going Johanna!

Marian Fortunati said...

Unfortunately too true...

Love this new challenge and your answer to it!! I so admire you, my friend.

Do you think drawing the figure continuously will help with drawing in general??? (rocks, boats, buildings, rivers, etc.)

jimserrettstudio said...

What a creative challenge, it will certainly be interesting to follow.
You should look at publishing the experience on it's completion via Blurb or similar self publishing formats.
Best of luck and all my support.
:)

Johanna Spinks said...

Thanks Arlene and Jim. I need all the support I can get!

Thanks also Jim for Blurb lead. I was actually thinking of doing something like that if I can pull the challenge off. Glad you think it might be worth it.

Johanna Spinks said...

Marian,,,yes,,without question!

Madeline Deriaz said...

this one is an «oeuvre d'art» Mu favorite...
everything is perfect. composition, contrast, expression. I am totaly baba !
félicitations !