Instagram

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Daily Bread...365 Days of Drawing




Who doesn't like a slab of bread with jam? I don't think bread is the easiest to paint being close in value range, and a different kind of texture to anything else around. I have certainly seen my students struggle with painting bread. For one class, I even baked the bread for the still life to be sure of the right "crown" to the loaf. Baking the darn load to perfection turned out to be way easier than painting it so!

Today I felt the need to paint some more bread, putting some paint on a drawing from the day before yesterday, block-in shown here.

DAILY BREAD
Oil, 8"x6"






5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful painting. I agree that it can be difficult to paint but for me baking it might be the bigger challenge.

Kerri Settle said...

The bread is so convincing that I can almost smell it! You perfectly captured all that subtle texture.

Gwen Bell said...

Excellent work, Johanna! Your still lives are as masterful as your portraits!

Pam Holnback said...

Really great job w/ the bread!

Johanna Spinks said...

thanks everyone...here's to daily bread, drawings and paintings.