Instagram

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Let's Talk Turkey-Zorn-licious!...365 Days of Drawing


Ok...let's talk turkey. I really learn from Old Master Anders Zorn as I have discussed many times this year copying his pen and ink drawings often with a Bic pen. I was reminded of a few things this week, the direction I need to go in my art, things I really need to focus on, by a certain present day Master artist I trust deeply.

He told me "Get the Zorn books out". Morgan Weistling also said a similar thing to his students at The Weekend With The Masters three day workshop where I was lucky enough to be his assistant. Morgan said to learn about painting study Zorn etchings.

My Zorn books are never far away but today they are front and centre. This was my drawing for the challenge from yesterday, a copy of Zorn's head, with a paint block-in on the drawing I did today. I wanted to focus on actual paint rather than his etchings on this one. I set myself a timer of about an hour to mass in the shapes with a big brush.

Now I need to do my drawing for TODAY and dress the turkey for TOMORROW. Let's hope I don't get confused and draw a Zorn on the turkey.
You will be seeing a lot more of Zorn in the next few weeks from me until the challenge end.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

2 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

Always more to study isn't there.... Gosh I admire you Johanna!!!

Johanna Spinks said...

thank Marian...I admire yu too. So there! The studying never ends. The more yu know, the more you want to know.