Instagram

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Making It Your Own

My Very Own
By Johanna Spinks
8.5" x 11"
Watercolor, oil and gouache.

SOLD











Good afternoon dear friends:


One of my art students yesterday, an absolutely charming Italian man, came over to me as I was finishing these ordinary teacups up,  and said something like:" You have shown me how you take something (ordinary teacups) and make it your own".

This comment passed over my head somewhat as I was a bit tired from election night and art school coffee was giving me more heartburn than caffeine lift.

 But then I really started to think about his comment today and what a compliment it was.

Making it your own is the key to whatever you do. And it sure takes time.

 It can turn the mundane into the extraordinary, don't you think?

A boring political speech into a teary masterpiece

A hum-drum piece of writing into a Nobel prize-winning tour de force

A simple apple pie into a mega monster pie hard to beat at the annual pie contest

A simple rose bush that flourishes magnificently with crazy blossoms year after year

You get the idea.

So let's all go out there and be extraordinary for the next 24 hours.

What will you do?


No comments: