Instagram

Saturday, August 7, 2010

QUIET INTELLIGENCE...365 DAYS OF DRAWING


This little boy is very special. My daughter met him, and was holding him when the original photo was taken, at an Aids orphanage/school in Africa run by the Makobe Children's Foundation. He was one of three brothers there that had all been found abandoned after their parents died from AIDS. He stole her heart and she was sad to leave him especially when her time volunteering at the home came to an end.

This drawing caused me a bit of trouble. I didn't want to be exploitative of his sweet vulnerability in the shot. It took me two half-hour sittings to get it right over two days with a complete rub-out the first sitting, preferring to change the composition. I will paint it now. I have always wanted to paint some of the children my daughter took photos of there. The good thing about month eight of a drawing challenge is it makes you re-visit things looking for inspiration for drawings.

AS I was drawing this little boy, I was wondering what has happened to him. Three years have now passed since the photo was taken. His life will have changed probably very much.

AS for me, I get to teach people art this weekend at my workshop in Ventura. I have no complaints. How lucky am I?

3 comments:

Kim Blair said...

Hope you are having fun teaching your workshop this weekend Johanna. I am looking forward to the painting you create from this drawing of the sweet little boy.
Kim

Marian Fortunati said...

Enjoy yourself, Johanna...

Life is always better when we appreciate the many gifts we've been offered.

Johanna Spinks said...

Thank you Kim and Marian...workshop is going well..I am grateful to have had such great teaching.