Instagram

Monday, March 15, 2010

ICONIC KISS...365 Days of Drawing



Those of you following this drawing challenge outside of the US will not know what this small iconic image is. It is a Hershey's KISS. A small chocolate drop wrapped in red foil. Silver foil is also popular.

I find iconic images interesting. How do things become iconic? I hate the taste of Hershey's chocolate, tastes waxy to me, but the little foil-wrapped "Kiss" always brings a smile if someone gives you one. There is no Valentines' Day without them just as there is no Easter in the UK without Cadbury's Cream Eggs, also foil-wrapped.

How do things become iconic? Will the current US fad for The Snuggle (a blanket with holes for the arms) become so? What marketing person came up with the idea for the Hershey's Kiss? Did he get a company award for genius? Or just a carriage clock at retirement?

Iconic in art? Andy Warhol's Campell Soup. The Mona Lisa's Smile. Van Gogh's Irises. Monet' Waterlillies. Picasso's Cubism. Waterhouse's Nymphs.

Will you create something ICONIC this week? I sure hope so. Be the first to tell me, ok? This drawing is dedicated to Verity for giving me my drawing moxy back.

My french photo: icon clogs in Dinan. Who thought to put those there? And you know it was done centuries ago.

10" x 12", for sale on blog




2 comments:

Rainey J. Dillon said...

Love this little kiss! and the Dinan shots are great...some so similar to the ones I took!lol
Rainey

Johanna Spinks said...

Yes, Rainey, I wonder how many times those clogs have been photo'd on the Rue Jerzual?