Instagram

Friday, March 26, 2010

Sweat the Small Stuff...365 Days of Drawing...



Still life gives me so much enjoyment. Since the day Chardin painted his first hunks of mouldy cheese and bread, artists have been fascinated by the small stuff. Still life remains a constant source of fascination to artists which is interesting in itself. The genre has stood the test of art time.

Yesterday I did a simple class demo of lemons and red onions which will count for my drawing today. Oops, forgot to take the drawing block in photo again. I draw A LOT when I am teaching, on students' canvases, making adjustments usually in the drawing, as well as on my own.

This demo is small, 5" x 7" and only a section of the set-up. There is beauty in small.

I like what I got. I was interested in getting all the color in I could, warm and cool versions of each. I returned to the studio and did another study from this study to push the color more, although this time in a landscape.

Sweat the small stuff, I say. Especially when it comes to still life.




2 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

See you manana... if only for a bit!

Johanna Spinks said...

The bit was good...and it was longer than a bit.
Thanks friend!